• 22 May 2012

    Simple Fix != Simple Retesting

    Spend a couple of days around a developer while they are working and I’m sure the phrase “That will just be a quick fix” will come out (or words to that effect).

    As the project starts developers will be putting in considerable hours to implement functionality, typically the amount of time allocated for testing will not be close to this figure (at this point). However later on in the project comes a point where people are likely to ask for a ‘Small Fix’. This could be something as simple as how the password validation works. I’m sure developers love these because after 5/10 minutes work they can tick something off their to-do list (which can usually be quite extensive).

    However as a Tester this might mean having to go through multiple test cases again, each with various parameters. This includes but is not limited to:

    • Min / Max accepted length ...
    • Web Development
  • 22 May 2012

    Successful Software Development

    Sometimes we wonder why specific software has been successful, what made it so special, why Facebook and Google are so valuable?

    How to know which idea to invest in or if your idea will be successful in a market where the difference between a profitable and non-profitable idea may be marginal?

    • Define product market;
    • Analyse profile of consumers;
    • Believe in the idea;
    • Analyse return on investment;
    • Execution;
    • Marketing;

    Most of the listed items are trivial and come from common sense, I believe that many ideas succeed in 80% of the listed items, the remaining 20% is represented by failed or poor execution.

    Execution is an essential part of success, having the ability to make an idea into reality is one of the most difficult things in a business.

    On paper, ideas are always related to desire and imagination, the human mind goes beyond the imagination where ideas have no limits, ...

    • Software Design & Development
  • 22 May 2012

    CMS with Sitefinity....


    I am Light Speed's latest addition to the team, my name is Dan Mitchell and I have just started an apprenticeship with Light Speed studying web design. In the past I often asked myself "what happens when you create a web site for somebody and it needs to be updated", I didn't really give it much thought, I just assumed they would come back to the designer when they wanted the website updated or wanted to add new content, but when you really think about that method would not work in the real world so when I was introduced to CMS (Content Management System) the penny dropped. CMS is a piece of software that provides website editing with little knowledge of programming or mark up languages to create, edit and maintain a website.

    Light Speed's choice of CMS is Sitefinity, I had my first play with the programme today ...

    • Sitefinity
  • 04 May 2012

    A Review of Sitefinity's Module Builder - Part 2

    In my last blog post, I looked at how easy it was to create a slideshow module using Sitefinity’s Module Builder. Overall, the experience was a huge improvement on having to create the entire module through code. With the whole process being quicker and easier, the workflow for site development was hugely decreased.

    So that’s it then? Well... no, unfortunately after some further experimenting and pushing the customisation of the Module Builder, I discovered that you could only go so far.

    Moving on from the slideshow module, my next task was to create a protected downloads module which used jQuery to create a hover effect. When the front image was hovered, another area would appear containing a title, summary and “download” button which, when clicked, would present the user with a popup requesting their email address before enabling the file download to begin. This email address would then be ...

  • 03 May 2012

    A Review of Sitefinity's Module Builder - Part 1

    So... Sitefinity’s Module Builder: “the state-of-the-art module builder which allows you to build your own content types without programming”. A big promise, but does it work?

    Casting our minds back a little, back to when Sitefinity 4.4 was released, I take a look at the Sitefinity Module Builder to see how effective it is at reducing the amount of programming required for simple modules.

    When Sitefinity 4.4 was announced, it boasted a range of new features and improvements to the globally used CMS platform. With a huge emphasis on making it easier and more simplistic to develop websites and applications, most excitement revolved around the news on Sitefinity’s new Module Builder.

    The Sitefinity Module Builder claimed that you would be able to build complete custom modules without having to get your hands dirty with programming. Avoiding the standard method of creating custom modules, the Module Builder indicated that it could ...


Please enter your details and we will aim to call you back the same day.